Saturday 6 April 2013

DIY Pea & Quinoa Fritters

Looking for a quick tasty meal or a yummy snack? Look no further, these Pea and Quinoa Fritters are the perfect addition to your meal plan.
Unfortunately, I cannot take the credit for these delicious morsels, it was Donna Hay (from her book Fresh and Light) from which I found (and slightly altered) the recipe.

Ingredients:
2.5 cups cooked peas
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 eggwhite
2 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
sea salt and cracked pepper
extra oil for cooking


Directions:
1. If your peas are uncooked/frozen.
Place your peas in a bowl and cover with boiling water. You can either let them sit, covered, until they defrost/cook or you can chuck them in the microwave for a few minutes (i'm always in a hurry and I prefer the microwave method)

2. While your peas are cooking, place the quinoa (if you don't know how to cook quinoa see the bottom of this post for info), rice flour and vegetable oil in a separate bowl. Also, separate your eggwhite.


3. Once the peas are cooked, mash them up. The consistency of your peas is a personal preference. I like mine pretty mushy and I use a stick mixer to give them a quick mash.

4. Add all the ingredients together.
I get really paranoid that the eggwhite start cooking because of the hot peas, so I usually add that last.


 5. Mix thorougly.


6. Add a little veg oil to a pan and heat to a moderate temperature.

7. Make little patties and place in pan.
I like to scoop out a 1/4 or 1/3 cup full of the mix to make my patties. That way they're all a similar size and shape. Note I squash them with my fingers so they're about 1-2 cm flat when they're in the pan.


8. Cook for around 5 minutes. Check the bottom of them, they're ready when they go crispy brown. 

9. Flip them over and cook for around the same length of time on the other side.

10. Serve.
I'm currently obsessed with mexican food and here I've served them with a homemade spicy salsa. They also go great with a fresh zucchini salad. 

The nitty gritty details:
Serves 4, depending on how hungry you are and what you serve them with.
Approximately 300 calories per serve (they are ALL good calories, ain't nothing unhealthy in these).
This nutritional info has come straight from: Spark People Recipes


How do you cook quinoa?
Quinoa pretty much doubles when you cook it (like rice), and this is how I cook it.
1. Thoroughly rise 1 cup quinoa
2. Place quinoa with 2 cups water in a pot (1 part quinoa, 2 parts water)
3. Add a stock cube (you don't have to do this but I think it really adds great flavour)
4. Heat on high and stir until boiling
5. Reduce to a low heat so its simmering and place a lid on (don't put the lid completely over because the liquid might boil over
6. Cook, stirring every now and then, until the liquid has been absorbed (usually 10 minutes)
7. Once cooked give it another good stir and, if you have time, leave the lid completely covering the pot and let sit for another 10-15 minutes - this allows the quinoa to become really soft and fluffy, I ALWAYS do this now!
That's it, it's soooo easy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...